Menu: Home :: go to Journal :: switch to Russian :: switch to English
You are here: all Journals and Issues→ Journal→ Issue→ Article

THE CLERGY’S POSITION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN NORTH CAUCASUS IN XIX CENTURY

Annotation

Public schools are educational establishments of pre-revolution Russia. According to Charter about public schools for all cities of the Russian empire from 5th August, 1786 Main and Small public schools were organized. During school reform in 1804 Main public schools were regenerated in gymnasiums and Small in district schools. Initial public schools were created in 1864 and could give primary education only. State schools, different department and private schools, and also church-parish and Sunday schools, referred to them. Their activity was regulated by Statute about initial public schools, accepted in 1874. In the conditions of colonization of North Caucasus the necessity of the skilled providing was constantly felt for all spheres of public life and state administration, including enlightenment and also aspiration to provide support of politics of power from the side of locals. One of attempts of this problem’s decision was development of the public schools oriented not only on preparation of boys to copyist positions but also on enlightenment of the population. This task acquired the special importance in the context of necessities of education and population’s education of region in traditions of the Orthodox culture through cognition of Law of the Lord. With bringing in the wide circle of sources an analysis is conducted from the position of clergymen in initial schools of North Caucasus, their status in the decision of questions of educational process and participation in management.

Keywords

history of the Russian Orthodox Church; North Caucasus; education; enlightenment; clergymen

Full-text in one file

Download

DOI

10.20310/1810-0201-2016-21-12(164)-115-120

UDC

364.054:930.253(470.6)

Pages

115-120

References

1. Trudy Stavropol'skoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii [Proceedings of Stavropol Scientific Archival Commission], no. 4, part 1. Stavropol, 1913. (In Russian). 2. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Stavropol'skogo kraya [State archive of Stavropol territory], fund 135, file 1, list 169. (In Russian). 3. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Stavropol'skogo kraya [State archive of Stavropol territory], fund 361, file 1, list 266a. (In Russian). 4. Stavropol'skie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Stavropol eparchial journal], 1885, 2 January. (In Russian). 5. Kavkazskie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Caucasian eparchial journal], 1879, 1 December. (In Russian). 6. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Stavropol'skogo kraya [State archive of Stavropol territory], fund 135, file 1, list 204. (In Russian). 7. Kavkazskie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Caucasian eparchial journal], 1876, 1 April. (In Russian). 8. Kavkazskie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Caucasian eparchial journal], 1975, 1 March. (In Russian). 9. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Stavropol'skogo kraya [State archive of Stavropol territory], fund 90, file 1, list 1319. (In Russian). 10. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Stavropol'skogo kraya [State archive of Stavropol territory], fund 135, file 1, list 877. (In Russian). 11. Kavkazskie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Caucasian eparchial journal], 1876, 16 October. (In Russian). 12. Stavropol'skie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Stavropol eparchial journal], 1886, 1 January. (In Russian). 13. Kavkazskie eparkhial'nye vedomosti [Caucasian eparchial journal], 1876, 1 November. (In Russian).

Received

2016-09-17

Section of issue

National history

Для корректной работы сайта используйте один из современных браузеров. Например, Firefox 55, Chrome 60 или более новые.